Do you often find it impossible to make your rebellious teenager a part of family lunches and dinners? If you have tried innumerable things in your stride but have miserably failed at making it work, you will have consolation in knowing that this issue is rampant in a majority of households.
Teenagers are often known to skip meals, survive on processed food that is not only nutritionally poor but also contains harmful additives and preservatives. While you cannot really keep out junk food from a teenager’s diet completely, you could certainly add nutrition to it. Multivitamins are not only recommended for younger children and the elderly but also for teenagers who tend to miss out on nutritional value of food.
While you might wonder how a multivitamin for teenagers is different from the rest, let us tell us that the nutritional requirements of a teen are quite different from that of a fully-grown adult. A teenager’s body changes in several ways, with a number of hormones working their way through puberty and growth. This is the time to focus on bodily changes and to ensure that nutritional deficiencies are met. However, with the focus shifting towards academics and unavoidable activities, nutrition often takes a backseat. In this article, we have reviewed the Top 5 multivitamins on the market that your teenager could highly benefit from.
Related Reviews: Best Omega 3 6 9
This short video details some key facts about multivitamins:
Comparative Table Of The Top 5 Multivitamins For Teenagers
|Rainbow Light Active Health Teen Multivitamin - 90 Tab||402 Reviews||$19.10 from $16.95||Buy on Amazon|
|GNC milestones Teen 120 Gummies||93 Reviews||$11.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Rainbow Light - Brain and Focus for Teens and Adults - Food-based Multivitamin Supplement, Mind and...||168 Reviews||$22.39||Buy on Amazon|
|SmartyPants Kids Formula Daily Gummy Vitamins: Gluten Free, Multivitamin & Omega 3 Fish Oil...||3,503 Reviews||$15.84 $14.08||Buy on Amazon|
|MegaFood, Kids One Daily, Daily Multivitamin and Mineral Dietary Supplement with Vitamins, C, D and...||73 Reviews||$25.97 from $14.95||Buy on Amazon|
Last update on 2019-07-18 PST - Details
Reviews Of The Top 5 Multivitamins For Teenagers
Since we understand that some of our clients are pressed for time, we have created a comparative table above that outlines the Top 5 products in the best possible way. For parents of teenagers, what mostly matters is how beneficial the product is in the first place and the ingredients on the label. The ingredients matter a good deal because all of us run the risk of allergies if a particular product contains a potential allergen. None of us want to expose our children to allergic reactions, which is why we have listed the ingredients that are excluded from these multivitamins.
Let us now take a detailed look at the products individually to understand how they would cater to the nutritional needs of teenagers.
Buying The Right Multivitamin For Your Teenager
There is no denying the fact that teenagers need plenty of vitamins as well as minerals to support their growth spurts. While puberty tends to hit girls earlier at around 10-11 years of age, it hits boys when they are around 12-13 years old. Your teen’s nutritional needs are greater at this point in time than they will ever be except for when they will be pregnant or will breastfeed.
While your teenager goes through innumerable physical and biochemical changes, it is important to understand that there is an increased requirement for certain kinds of vitamins. There are certain kinds of vitamins that play key roles in your teen’s growing years. They are listed below:
- Folic acid combined with vitamin B12 help rapid occurrence of tissue synthesis.
- While the calorie intake of a teenager heightens, so does the need for Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2 and Vitamin B3.
- To help support the development of your teenager’s muscular and skeletal structure, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin D are also required in higher amounts.
- Vitamin A, C and E are responsible for the optimal functioning of newly formed cells.
- There is also a continued need for calcium, magnesium as well as zinc to increase bone density.
What should you look for while buying the best multivitamin for your teenager?
A teenager often skips healthy meals and opts for processed food which ultimately takes a toll on the body and mind. There could not be a more significant stage of life than teenage when nutritional needs are sky-high. Parents are often troubled by the fact that their teenage son or daughter says No to whatever is offered on the dinner table. To fill up these gaps, they resort to multivitamins but most parents are not aware of what to look for while buying the best multivitamin. Listed below are some of the factors to consider:
- Calcium: Healthy bone growth is of utmost importance during teenage. This is what goes on to decide how well your skeletal structure will remain later in life. The recommended dose of calcium for a teenager is 1300 mg per day so while hunting for a multivitamin, do look for one that contains this recommended dosage.
- Vitamin D: As mentioned earlier in this article, consumption of calcium is useless until the body has enough Vitamin D to absorb the calcium from diet or otherwise. If your teenager is deficient in Vitamin D, then there are high chances of deficient bone mineralization as well as soft bones that are prone to fractures. Teenage boys and girls need at least 600 IU of vitamin D every day.
- Iron: A teenager needs enough iron to build muscle mass and increase blood volume. Teenage girls typically need more iron to make up for the loss of blood during every menstrual cycle. While girls need around 15 mg of iron every day, boys need around 11 mg per day.
- Omega-3: Studies show that insufficient intake of Omega-3 can lead to compromised pulmonary function and more respiratory problems. Lower levels of Omega-3 are also known to cause decreased amount of focus and concentration in teenagers. If your teen is not having proper meals, he or she could be at a risk of having lower Omega-3 levels. He or she will need around 25-400 mg of Omega-3 in the form of supplements.
- Vitamin C: In order to ensure that your teenager develops a healthy immunity and the common cold and flu keep away as far as possible, it is important to offer him or her adequate amounts of Vitamin C. However, if he or she does not consume as many fruits and vegetables as required, there might be a possible deficiency. A multivitamin that offers 500 mg of Vitamin C on a daily basis is what you should ideally opt for.
- Zinc: Zinc helps your teenager to grow taller and while there are genetic factors at play, this mineral does other wonders like reducing acne outbursts that are common in teenage. It is ideal to find a multivitamin that offers around 9 mg of zinc for girls and 11 mg for boys.
The key factor to consider while choosing the right multivitamin is whether it contains the recommended doses of vitamins and minerals. Keep an eye on allergic reactions while introducing a new pill to your teen. If there is a history of allergies in the family, read the label of ingredients very carefully before investing in one.
It is but natural that a balanced diet is always a better idea when it comes to proper nourishment of your teenager. However, with their stringent schedules and ever-changing tastes, keeping up could definitely be a problem. This is precisely why you need a multivitamin to do the job for your teenager and help him or her overcome the changes of adolescence in a healthy way. While buying a multivitamin, the first thing to look for is the type that offers wholesome goodness. The ones that are made of natural, organic and sustainably sourced ingredients are the safest bet. Yet another factor is to choose a multivitamin that is easier to digest and to swallow. You would not want your picky eater to turn up his nose at the mere mention of a multivitamin, would you?