Probiotics are one of the latest health trends. However, more and more scientific evidence is coming out to support them, so I think they're here to stay.
If you're new to probiotics there are some basic facts you need to know before trying them out.
Today I'll be telling you about the best probiotics for men.
Top 5 Best Probiotics for Men In 2021
Last update on 2022-11-21 PST - Details
What is a Probiotic Supplement?
Probiotic supplements replenish your gut flora. What are gut flora I hear you ask? They are a complex community of helpful bacteria that live in your digestive system (Source).
Most of the microorganisms that live inside you are bacteria. Fungi, archaea and protozoa also are part of your microbiota, but little is known about what they do. Science is now beginning to acknowledge the profound effects that the state of your gut flora has on your overall health.
The relationship between digestive microbiota and humans is mutually beneficial. The human provides the organisms with a safe, nutrient-rich environment to live in and in return, the human receives a wide variety of benefits.
It's not known exactly how many species live in the average gut. Estimates range from 300 to 1,000 different strains. The unique composition of your microbiota can vary depending on your age, diet and history of antibiotic use.
Gut flora take care of excess nutrients that your body couldn't digest. They also produce vitamins including vitamin K and biotin and hormones that help your body store fat. They keep harmful bacteria from setting up camp in your gut by taking up all of the space and nutrients for themselves.
Why Take a Probiotic Supplement?
One of the most effective uses for probiotic supplements is restoring a healthy microbiota composition after taking antibiotics. Although they demolish the harmful bacteria, antibiotics often kill off some good bacteria as well. This can cause poor digestion and diarrhea, but luckily it can be reversed by taking probiotics.
Another common reason for taking probiotic supplements is to remedy a mild lactose intolerance. Certain strains of bacteria reduce sensitivity and inflammation of the digestive tract, as well as aiding the body in digesting lactose more efficiently.
Probiotics are also believed to assist immune system function. Lots of people who try probiotics say that they get fewer colds and experience fewer seasonal allergies. Clinical studies have proven that probiotics can decrease the rate of respiratory tract infections in children (Source).
Since probiotics have anti-sensitivity, anti-inflammatory and digestion-aiding properties, they're great for people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, diarrhea, or excess gas (Source). Whether these symptoms are acute or chronic, probiotics can help. Even those with relatively normal digestive system function can benefit from probiotics.
Users of probiotics report increased urinary tract health, better oral health, normalized blood pressure, and improved skin conditions such as eczema. Studies have shown that using probiotics reduces the risk of dental caries in children.
Probiotic foods and supplements have a vast array of benefits that we're only beginning to find out about.
Here's a educational video that concisely explains gut flora and probiotic foods.
Men's Unique Health Concerns
Men generally have worse health than women. This is due to a variety of factors, such as higher stress, riskier behavior, exercising less, having a poorer diet, and not going to the doctor on a regular basis. Statistically, men get cancer and heart disease more often than women (Source).
The most common type of cancer that men contract is prostate cancer (Source). As this is a health concern unique to men, it's very important that men take care of their prostate health.
Keeping a healthy diet and exercising regularly are some of the easiest things you can do to reduce your risk, but taking supplements specifically designed for men can give you an extra boost on top of that.
Choosing a Probiotic Dietary Supplement
There are many foods you've already heard of (and some you probably haven't) that contain beneficial microorganisms. Having a diet rich in fermented and cultured foods (e.g. yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, and kombucha) can help your digestion a lot.
However, if you don't particularly care for fermented foods and drinks, or if you already eat these regularly but want even more benefit, you can take probiotic pills or capsules.
When shopping for a probiotic supplement, there are several factors to keep in mind. You want to find one that has a high number of microorganisms per serving, as well as a wide variety of different bacterial strains. Here are five of some of the best probiotics for men to help you make a decision.
Top 5 Men's Probiotics
1. Garden of Life RAW Probiotics Men
- Probiotic For Men's Immune, Digestive & Heart Health: 85 Billion CFU Guaranteed from Clinically Studied Species and Eastern European Wild Kefir Culture, plus Vitamins and Digestive Enzymes, for immune health, digestive function and heart health
- Probiotic Supplements For Men: This high potency, whole food probiotic supplement features 31 diverse probiotic strains, including Lactobacillus acidophilus, plantarum, and fermentum, as well as Bifidobacteria bifidum, lactis, and longum
- High Potency Probiotics For Men: This high potency, Whole Food probiotic supplement promotes bowel regularity, digestive function and healthy nutrient absorption
- Probiotic Potency Guaranteed Through Expiration: We begin with high levels of probiotics to ensure viability, even if the product is warm for a few days during shipment—especially during summer or in warmer climates; simply refrigerate upon receipt
- Digestive Enzyme Supplement: Probiotic-created vitamins, minerals, and dairy-digesting enzymes to help break down lactose and casein, all gluten free, soy free, and vegetarian with no binders, no fillers, no carriers, or soy allergens
Last update on 2022-11-21 PST - Details
This probiotic supplement from Garden of Life is great because it contains many more strains than your average probiotic. It even doubles as a rich vitamin and mineral supplement. Plus, it supports prostate health - a concern unique to men.
2. Hyperbiotics Pro-15
- 15 Targeted Probiotic Strains: Our formula includes excellent probiotics such as Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Streptococcus for women, men, and adults. With a patented delivery method, the probiotic organisms in this formula are released over an 8-10 hour period so they bypass your stomach acids and reach deep into your intestinal tract alive (where they are needed most) so you can experience the benefits that probiotics have to offer.*
- An Easy Regimen and Convenient: The suggested use is to take 1 small pearl shaped tablet per day. That's it! With a time-released delivery, the benefits of this probiotic nutritional supplement are being delivered deep inside your gut hour-by-hour. There is also 0 refridgeration necessary. With the patented LiveBac manufacturing process, we offer a guaranteed, extended shelf life.*
- Formulated For Your Needs: Did you know that 80% of your immune system is in your gut? Hyperbiotics PRO-15 probiotics helps replenish beneficial bacteria and may support digestive and immune health. This probiotic also includes naturally derived prebiotics. These prebiotic supplements are included in each pearl to help feed the probiotics for increased potency. Prebiotics are to probiotics what fertizer is to a garden*
- Tested For Safety and Potency:* This formula is vegetarian, non-GMO, and gluten-free. It is free from yeast, soy, sugar, nuts, artificial flavors and colors, and preservatives. Our ingredients are carefully selected and follow good manufacturing (GMP) practices for optimal purity and safety.*
- Manufactured in the USA with Domestic and Global Ingredients: At Hyperbiotics, we leverage the latest research to develop premium probiotic supplements. Our products are manufactured in Washington and Colorado in facilities that are GMP-certified through NSF. We adhere to the strictest quality control and FDA guidelines and perform rigorous testing on every lot to ensure they are survivable and as the label states.*
Last update on 2022-11-21 PST - Details
HyperbHyperbiotics Pro-15 is a great basic probiotic supplement. This one doesn't need to be refrigerated; you can keep it in your pantry for up to 18 months.
The most attractive feature of this supplement is that the pills are slow-release, and the coating is specially made to protect the organisms from your stomach acid.otics Pro-15
3. Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra
This is another one from Garden of Life, unique in that it balances the pH levels of your digestive system and keeps your intestinal lining happy and healthy. Primal Defense Ultra gives you 10% daily value of iron as an extra nutritional boost. I would recommend this probiotic supplement to those who are sensitive to dairy but can't live without a great slice of cheesy pizza once in a while - it reduces inflammation while also helping your body to digest dairy
4. Culturelle Digestive Health Probiotic
Culturelle Digestive Health Probiotic is great for people who only need a little bit of a digestive boost, as it contains just 1 strain. The unique feature of this probiotic is that it contains chicory root extract - a plant extract used for upset stomach, constipation, and disorders of the liver and gallbladder.
Chicory root is also a rich source of beta-carotene, a compound that the body converts into vitamin A.
5. NOW Foods Probiotic-10
Probiotic-10 from NOW Foods is unique because many people who use it notice that they get fewer yeast infections and don't experience seasonal allergies nearly as badly.
This supplement is designed to be acid-resistant, so that a larger proportion of organisms will reach your intestines. Speaking of organisms, this supplement provides a whopping 25 billion organisms
My personal favorite is the first one, Garden of Life RAW Probiotics Men, because not only is it a powerful probiotic with way more organisms per serving than most others on the market, but it also provides essential vitamins and minerals.
It even supports prostate health, which is why I think it's one of the best probiotics that men can take. With all the unique benefits this one provides, I think it provides the best bang for your buck