So you have decided to buy a bike and in need of buying a road bike. For many the following questions, “What road bike is right for me” keeps popping up in your mind and can be challenging. Our buyer guide for the best road bikes designed to guide you during the process of buying a suitable road bike to make cycling a pleasurable one.
When you are buying a road bike, the assortment of bike brands, components, and material options can be confusing. We are here to guide you with your choices to help you find the right road bike. Many different road bikes can cost you up to $6,000; however, there is no need for you to spend that much.
Over the last, couples of year’s entry-level bikes have improved with advanced technology making them more affordable for you to buy.
The first thing that you need to decide is how much you are willing to spend as a decent bike can start from about $150 – the more you spend the better specified and lighter the road bike will be.
With your budget in mind, it is time to do your research as your bicycle is an investment and you need some time to do your research.
When it comes to choosing the best road bikes, it comes down to style, efficiency, and speed. They have constricted tires and larger 700c wheels with drop handlebars. Here you will find a wide range of many different road bikes that are faster and lighter than other bike designs, making them the perfect choice for a variety of cycling activities.
Last update on 2018-09-10 PST - Details
WHAT MATERIALS USED TO MAKE THE BEST ROAD BIKES
The frame of your road bike is the heart of the bike and this is where the most money is spent. Frames are constructed from a wide range of different materials and the most common ones are steel, carbon fiber, titanium, and aluminum. Many frames are made up from certain materials and have common features, although, the designs just as important as the material used in the frame.
This is a very stiff and lightweight material and a non-metal. This provides you with huge design advantages. They are normally designed into aerodynamic shapes while fine-tuned to increase strength and stiffness. Carbon fiber constructed frames are not all equal and you do find differences in the cheap to more costly frames. This all depends on the manufacturer uses the material and other important factors that make a difference to the quality of the frame. Designers create a particular balance of properties in the frame from being lightweight, comfortable and stiffness easily manipulating this material.
This material has been the dominant material for years until the 1980s and still an excellent material used in some of the best road bikes when in the hands of an excellent designer. This material is found in most custom bikes, especially those designed for touring, as the weight is less important. Steel is heavier than aluminum, however, still comfortable when used. This material provides durability, comfort, and strength and easy to fix.
Aluminum is one of the most common materials used in frames. It is more affordable as the material is extremely stiff and lightweight, providing a strong frame. When aluminums used, it provides superb stiffness to the frame with a great power transfer. Moreover, the latest designs offer some great advanced features. Quality aluminum frames are made of butted tubes as the wall thickness varies along the length and makes them lighter and more comfortable.
This exotic material can be as light as a steel and aluminum frame. This is a very light material-offering cyclist with a smooth ride. It is a durable material and corrosion resistant, however, difficult to work with and very expensive. However, has become more affordable lately.
If you have a choice between buying a carbon fiber frame, and another with aluminum frame, do not dismiss the aluminum option. Some road bikes designed with aluminum frames consist of higher-grade wheels and components that you may not find on a carbon bike for a similar price while contributing to a lower weight. This may provide you with a more comfortable ride.
How to Choose the Right Size Bike
Choosing the right size of your road bikes critical and prevent choosing a bike that is too small making you feel cramped up or too large as you cannot reach the handlebars just because you can get a bargain. The height and dimensions need to be right if you want to use your road bike every day.
Road bike sizes are normally in centimeters and can vary between manufacturers. Some may offer three sizes while others offer 10 different sizes with smaller increments between them. The best thing for you to do is to have a look at the available size chart, or preferably swing your legs over one at your local bike shop.
You need to be able to stand comfortably over the frame leaving you with some room between you and the top tube.
Making Your Road Bike Comfortable to Suite Your Needs
Bike services have become more popular these days and most bike shops provide you with some expert advice making your road bike the best road bike accustomed to your needs. You can change several parts from the fore-after position of the saddle to adjust easily to height. The handlebars can be lowered or raised with spaces and stems are changed for you to reach your handlebars easily.
Components for your Road Bike
Components are assembled into various groups from collection gear parts to brakes matched to design, quality, and functionality. You will find three major manufacturers and they are SRAM, Shimano, and Campagnolo – where Shimano is more popular in the entry-lever bikes.
Choosing compact, triple, or standard Chain Rings
The chain set makes up part of the pedals consist of the chain rings in various sizes. In most entry-level bikes, you normally find a compact double chain set with a 50 and 34-tooth chain ring, providing low ratios made for getting up hills a little easier.
While racing cyclists prefer using the standard double chain set that is larger and usually 39/53 and best suited for high speeds.
You can find triple chain sets in road bikes, however, they are replaced components offering you with the same spread of gears but lighter and easier to use. These chain sets are great for steep hills.
Wheels Do Make a Difference
A very important factor is the wheels of a road bike. Lighter wheels provide you with faster riding, have less rotating mass, and are more responsive. The wheels on the bike should be decent and a high priority on your list when buying the best road bikes. Some components on the wheels can be replaced like the rear derailleur that does wear out with time.
WHAT TYPE OF RIDING CAN YOU DO ON A ROAD BIKE
Road Race Bikes: The road race bike has a geometric design that is efficient for the road and feels unusual compared to the mountain or commuter bike. These bikes tend to be aerodynamic and light with a combination of the two put together.
Time Trial Bikes or the Triathlon Bike: These popular best road bikes are built with speed and weighs slightly more than your normal road bike as the cyclist’s positions optimized to be able to slice through the air.
Touring Bikes: These bikes are similar to your normal road bike with a more relaxed geometry design and made for long distance cycling with a comfortable seat. They are designed to add panniers and mudguards.
Advantages of Using a Road Bike
The road bikes designed for riders who need to log fast and serious mileage and prefers commuting to work as it is lightweight, has skinny tires, drop handlebars and a narrow seat. Road bikes offer you with some great advantages when used and include some of the following:
Commuting To Work Will Get You There Faster
Traveling to work and back on your road bike will get you there faster as more people are using their cars to get to work. Moreover, while you are commuting with your road bike will make you healthier and provide you with a great night’s sleep.
Recent studies done at Stanford University have found that cycling helps to increase circulation in your skin as it provides oxygen and nutrients to your skin cells more effectively as it flushes out harmful toxins. Another important advantage of cycling with a road bike helps to improve brainpower as it helps to build new brain cells.
Road Bikes Are Environmental Friendly
One thing of the best road bikes you can park up to 20 bicycles in one car parking space and produces zero pollution. They are efficient and you can travel three times faster than walking or traveling by car, saving you fuel costs while being active and healthy.
Provides Great Weight Loss
Are you feeling a bit overweight? Well, cycling with your road bike will help you to lose some kilos in the right place and helps to burn fat while you strike your foot on that peddle. Instead of running start cycling and lose weight while you are in the saddle.
ROAD BIKE REVIEWS
Listed here you can find our selected road bike reviews that are some of the best available road bikes at affordable priced directly from Amazon:
HOW TO BUY THE BEST ROAD BIKES
When you pay a bike shop a visit or start looking around online, you may feel overwhelmed by the selection. There are some of the best road bikes available and you do not know where to start. We want to help you in finding the perfect road bike advising you, which bike to look for and how to get the best deal when you shop for your bike.
First Step: You have decided that you want a road bike and can look at the following:
- You need the best road bikes for riding smoothly and have light frames with slimmer tires. These bikes are designed for commuting to work and riding for fun, as they do not have suspension systems that are able to handle the shock from harsh roads. This bike you normally cycle in a bent position as the handlebars are dropped.
- Alternatively, you can pick a hybrid bike that will provide you with flexibility of riding your bike around the neighborhood and in need of riding in an upright position. Some of these bikes have double walled rims and some offer you with road riding.
- Decide on your skill level, are you a beginner or advanced cyclist and choose according to your current skill.
- Work according to your budget and try to find a bike that is within your budget range – we recommend you buy a bike during the winter month as most retailers lower their price during the winter season.
- When choosing a bike compare components and frames and need to look for a good frame as components can be upgraded at a later stage.
Second Step: Testing the road bike:
Before, deciding to buy the best road bikes from an online retailer we suggest that you pay a bike shop a visit and test the bikes that you have seen available online before making your purchase.
- Sit on the road bike and check your body form. Are you comfortable or too stretched out – are the controls easy to use and in reach and what is your overall impression.
- Take note of the distance between the seat & handles and the distance from the seat to the bottom of the pedal.
- Is the frame size fixed and try different options to find the best for you.
- Check the road bikes tires, as a slimmer tire is best for quick riding, while a slicker thread is great for city riding that has smoother surfaces. Look for built in flat protection in tires, as this is more convenient and safer.
- Test drive the bike as the road bike may look great, but it does not mean that you are going to have a comfortable ride and if it does not feel good or respond well with your body in a proper way rather look for a different one.
- Your body should feel comfortable while riding and your knee should bend slightly at the bottom of the pedal – you need to be able to reach the brakes with ease and should not feel cramped on a flat surface.
- Make sure the handles turn smoothly and that you can sit or stand while on a hill.
Third Step: Buying your new bike in person:
- Pay your local bike shop a visit and have a look at the different types of road bikes they sell and the ones that you have researched.
- Pay attention to salespeople that steer you to a bike that is way out of your budget line, however, listen to suggestions. If they steer you to a different frame style that you have researched ask them why that one is better.
- Ask them about service plans as some bike shops offer a free year tune-up along with your purchase.
- Negotiate the price with the salesperson if you found that the price is cheaper from an online retailer and show them the price to find out if they will be able to match the price. If they offer you a lower price or a service plan, you have a first-class deal.
Step Four: Buying the best road bikes online:
- Decide which bicycle you want to buy as you can shop online 24/7 and will most likely find some great competitive prices.
- Look for online retailers in your area or if the bike you are buying has a store in your area before making your purchase. This helps if you want to test-drive the bike.
- If you want to buy your road bike online, you can have a look at the following online stores, Amazon, Craigslist, and eBay all depending if you are in need of buying a new or secondhand bike.
- Now it is time to order your buy or pick it up – if you have ordered it online and your bikes delivered in pieces, take it to your local bike shop, and pay someone to help you assemble it for safety purposes.
- Test drives the bike and if you find that you do not like it disassemble it and ship it back to them.
For what purpose is, the best road bikes suited.
Road bikes are suited for long distance traveling and racing, however, they do make outstanding workout bikes if you want to add cycling exercises to your fitness program.
Why is road bikes constructed with drop bars?
Drop bars offer you multiple hand positions enabling you to change position while on your bike and important when taking on longer rides. This also helps you to breathe easier.
Why are they designed with narrow seats?
Bikes are designed with a narrow seat as they provide you with more freedom in movement, and designed for leaned-over riding position.
Why do road bikes come out with narrow tires?
The narrow tires make the bike faster and efficient to use. Narrow tires are lighter and you have less rolling resistance, making for quicker acceleration and higher speed.
How do I decide what size of road bikes is suitable for me?
You need to stand over the bike and be able to reach from the seat to the bars to cycle comfortably.
- To avoid fatigue and muscle soreness when you start riding your bike never hunch your shoulders and rather tilt your head every couple of minutes to prevent tight neck muscles – stop and enjoy the scenery.
- Always keep your shoulders behind the front of your road bike’s wheel axle, as this prevents the rear wheel from lifting up in the air.
- Change your hand position periodically, grasp the drops for high-speed riding, and for relaxed cruising, use the brake lever hoods.
- Always make sure that your handlebar width equals your shoulder width.
- When commuting to work stay far enough in traffic lanes, avoiding doors being opened in parked cars striking you off your bike.
- Always remember that on descents your road bike is more stable when you are pedaling than when you are coasting.
Now that you have, an idea on what makes the best road bikes, the type of road machine best for you the fun part begins, and that are buying your bike. Always remember to buy once, as this will be less expensive than buying wheels, components, and the frame than upgrading later. Make sure that your bike is a proper fit and be wary of deals that sound too good to be true. Remember to pick out the features mentioned in our Buyers Guide for the Best Road Bikes and choose those that best meet your needs and be prepared to spend a little extra on important accessories like your bike helmet, water bottle etc. Happy biking and do not forget to take a look at our product reviews on some the best road bikes available here!
THANKS FOR READING OUR BUYERS GUIDE. WE LOOK FORWARD TO HELP YOU PICK THE BEST ROAD BIKE!
Related Buyer’s guides and Beasts Lists