How To Make Celery Juice – 5 Different Ways
Not everything that’s healthy is tasty. But celery is an exception. Known for its rich flavor it makes a great ingredient not just for your meals but also for your juices. With all the flavor it bears, this one is rich in several essential nutrients.
Celery juice and its benefits have been popular for a long time. Did you know that the Greeks used celery as a main ingredient in making medicines for various ailments? You have to have a refreshing glass of this nutritious juice to really feel the cooling effect it has on your body even on a hot summer day.
Celery juice is made in various ways in lots of different combinations. Adding more nutritious ingredients adds to the flavor and nutritional value of the drink and can thus tickle your taste buds to drink celery juice regularly.
Nutritional value of celery
It is known for the Vitamin K content, molybdenum, folate, manganese and potassium. Added to all these, it is also a rich source of dietary fiber. One stalk of celery contains nearly 35mg of sodium.The sodium in table salt is a harder form while that in celery is a more soluble form.
With such a high nutritional profile and its rich composition of essential macronutrients, now you know why Celery is a popular suggestion of nutritionists.
Before we get to the process of how to make celery juice, here are the main benefits of consuming it:
- The hydrating effect of celery juice on the body needs no introduction. This is because celery can help in managing the overall body temperature.
- If you have high cholesterol levels, adding celery to your food can help you lower it, thanks to the lipid-reducing component called 3-n butylphthalide present in celery.
- Even those with hypertension are advised to include celery in their diet. The seeds of celery, in particular, have been found to visibly regularize blood pressure when consumed on a regular basis.
- Besides promoting ahealthier heart, celery also aids in the protection of liver health. This is because it would avoid the buildup of fats inside the liver in the long run
- It helps avoiding ulcers. Celery seeds can detoxify your body and thus promote better digestion and reduce bloating.
- Besides the above-mentioned benefits, regular consumption of celery is also believed to reduce the risks of cancer. And when you combine other healthy ingredients like carrots in your celery juice, then you would also have a nutrition-packed drink to meet your nutritional requirements.
Now that we know what all celery juice can do to our body, let us get to the process of making it.
All that you would need to make your celery juice
Here is the list of ingredients you would require to make your celery juice:
If you choose to stick with plain celery juice, you could simply stop with picking the freshest celery stalks. You could pick 2 or 3 celery stalks to make a single ingredient celery juice.
Here are some optional ingredients to add to make other variants of celery juice:
For a carrot celery breakfast juice
Consuming this in the morning can leave you feeling fresh all day long
- Carrots- 4 or 5 medium sized ones
- Fresh ginger- a small one-inch piece
Detoxifying night drink
Here’s a detoxifying drink that helps cleansing your kidneys and liver. Consuming this at night can promote a healthy sleep.
- Apples 2 medium ones
- 1 long cucumber
- Fresh ginger
For better kidney functioning
This delicious drink kills harmful cellulites and thus promotes better kidney health.
- Pink grapefruit- a quarter
- Mint leaves
A healthy way to lose weight
This drink leaves you feeling full and adds all required nutrients in your diet.
- Carrots- 3
- Half a cucumber
- Apple- 1
Preparing celery for the juice
No matter which variant of celery juice you choose to make, here’s how you prepare your celery stalks for the juice:
- Pick the crisp looking stalks. Also choose ones that do not have any wilted or yellow leaves
- Cut off the root tips and tail.
- Wash the stalks once under running water.
- There might be mud caught up in the leaves. Soak the stalks in cold water for few minutes.
- Run cold water through the stalks one last time to remove the trapped mud. This gives you fresh stalks ready for juicing.
The leaves of celery add to the flavor of your juice and they are also rich in Vitamin A. So leave them intact. If you wish to store celery stalks for later, store them in an air-tight container or a Ziploc bag.
How to make celery juice?
Plain celery juice for a hot summer day
- Cut the celery stalks into smaller pieces, with the leaves intact.
- Blend it smooth. You could also add a little water if you are using a blender instead of a juicer.
- You could add ginger or lemon juice to add to the flavor.
- You could add some ice cubes while you blend the stalks. Then strain the liquid. This would leave behind all the pulpy fiber contents. There you have a tall glass of a cold summer drink.
But the fiber pulp you remove contains a lot of essential nutrients. You could consume the drink as a smoothie without removing the pulp. Or you could add the pulp as a topping for salads and more.
A healthy breakfast drink
- Wash and peel the carrots and chop off the ends.
- Slice in into smaller pieces to get a smoother blend
- Add the carrots in the blender
- Cut 1 or 2 celery stalks and add them in the blender.
- Peel the 1 inch piece of ginger and add it as well.
- Blend the ingredients till you get a smooth puree.
Consuming it thick can leave you feeling full in the morning. There are several benefits of consuming carrots in the morning. It can cleanse your body and relieve fatigue. Thus the killer combination of carrots and celery with the aromatic flavor of ginger can make a healthy and delicious breakfast drink.
The fact that it leaves you feeling full means that you would not be craving for an unhealthy mid-morning snack. Also the refreshing drink would purify and remove all toxins. This would improve your digestion and metabolism all day long.
Detoxifying night drink
- In a blender, add chopped apples
- Add chopped cucumber to this
- Take a stalk of celery with the leaves and slice it to small pieces and add in the blender
- Add a 1inch piece of fresh peeled ginger
- Run the blender and make a smooth juice. You could strain the juice of you find it too thick to consume at night.
- Squeeze a slice of lemon in this juice and consume at once
Consuming this drink at night promotes better sleep. Apple as well as cucumber is known for their cleansing property. Adding these can help expel all toxins from the body. To reduce the acidity and remove excess amount of carbon dioxide in your body, there’s celery. The antibiotic property of ginger needs no introduction.
All day long as your intestines tire themselves out in digesting your food, there is a large amount of harmful bacteria that might accumulate in your intestines. Lemon that you add in the drink removes this bacteria and thus helps protect the health of your intestines. Not just that, your liver, kidneys and all other parts of the digestive system are cleansed out. This drink thus acts as a detox that can help you sleep better at night.
For better kidney functioning
- Add washed and chopped apples in a blender
- Nextcomes chopped pears.
- Take two stalks of celery with the leaves and slice them into thinner pieces and add in the blender along with some mint leaves.
- Blend the above ingredients into a smooth puree.
- Take the quarter portion of ripe pink grapefruit and add it to this puree.
- Run the blender again.
You could add ice cubes to the drink. Garnish with mint leaves and serve the drink during a warm summer day. The fat tissues are purified and the toxins in them are eliminated by the apple and mint that you add. Celery, pear and apple are known to promote better functioning of the kidneys.
Lymphatic system in the body plays the key role in removing toxins from the cells. Skin breakouts, indigestion, weight gain and other implications are caused by a clogged lymphatic system. The vitamin C in grapefruit helps unclog lymphatic system. On the whole this cleansing drink can break down and eliminate cellulite from your body.
A healthy way to lose weight
The awareness of the ill effects of crash dieting is gaining momentum. To lose weight, you have to concentrate on cutting down unhealthy food and adding essential macronutrients in the right proportions. This is what this healthy weight loss juice recipe does to your body:
- Wash and peel 3 medium carrots. You can skip the peeling step if you have a good juicer that removes all the excess fiber.
- Chop the carrots and add them in the blender
- Cut the ends and chop half of a cucumber
- Add chopped apples as well
- Cut two stalks of celery and add that too.
- Blend till you get a smooth consistency.
This drink has to be consumed soon after it is made. If you wish to store it, the apples in the drink might start getting oxidized. This would reduce the richness of the drink. This vegetable juice with the flavor of apple is an excellent food to add to your weight loss diet routine.
This drink is filling. So it helps curb hunger pangs. Also the nutritional value of the drink makes it a great substitute for any unhealthy snack when you are hungry.The potassium and sodium content in celery, removes the excess water from your body. This also helps prevention of uric acid accumulation in the kidneys.
Adding celery the right way
Now those are 5 out of the many ways to prepare a refreshing beverage with celery. Hope you enjoyed learning ways to add celery juice to your diet everyday. Fruits are great when consumed as a whole and raw vegetables are the best ingredients to make a healthy juice. The essence to making the best celery juice or any vegetable juice for that matter is a good juicer.
We have here laid down the ways to make celery juice in a normal blender. This would leave the pulp intact. A juicer would however make your work easy and give you strained thinner juice straight in the glass or pitcher. This is why you should invest in a good juicer. It can help you make all vegetable juices in a jiffy. Juices from a juicer are also healthy and pure.
These are great alternatives to the preservatives laden store bought juices. Also, the juices made in juicers have their flavors intact. If you wish to try all the above recipes in a juicer, the process is pretty straightforward. Extract fresh juice of all the mentioned ingredients one by one in your juicer and blend them.
Avoid diluting the beverages as much as possible. The water content in the ingredients themselves is enough to give you a smooth juice. Most of the ingredients chosen here are good when consumed fresh. So, all the above recipes are for immediate consumption. The sodium content in celery and the fresh flavor it has would be enough to add to the taste of the beverage. So you need not add any other flavoring agent. Supplement these healthy beverages with a healthy exercise routine to see noticeable signs of transformation in your body. And remember these beverages have their effect only when consistently consumed on a regular basis.