When you wake up in the morning, what is the first thing you see in the mirror? When you click a photo, be it a solo or a group shot, what is the first thing you notice about yourself? Your face! Are you happy with it? Does the extra fat make you look chubby? Wish you could get rid of it and have a much thinner face? Wondering how to lose weight in your face without any extreme measures?
Don’t worry! You are not alone. We have come across this problem more often than you could imagine. All that extra weight around your face could be a very stressful situation for many. If you are on the chubbier side, you may wish to do away with the weight on your face, so that you could look slimmer in your photos. If you are one of the lucky ones, who are lean and proportionately sized, but have a chubby face, well it could be your constant source of worry.
I am no different. I just hate seeing myself in all those photos. There are times when I deliberately turn sideways, to avoid the camera catching my double chin. While I wanted an effective solution, I was not ready to go under the knife or spend a fortune on the various treatments.
As a result, I ventured into different methods that can help tone up your face and reduce all that fat. Want to try it too? Here are some of the tried and tested methods that may sound funny but really target your problem areas.
- Change your lifestyle and diet
- Face exercises
- Home remedies
1. Change Your Lifestyle And Diet
Water – Water is essential for everyday survival. The body tends to retain it so that there is enough to be used when required. Load up on the water every single day. When there is sufficient liquid consumption every day, the body retains lesser, thus reduces bloating
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day.
- Consume water-based fruits and vegetables like watermelon, orange, cucumber, etc.
- Liquids like fresh juices, vegetable smoothies, herbal tea, soups, etc. are all very healthy and will add water content.
Limited Salt - Salt again leads to water retention and thus bloating. Apart from making your face look bloated, excess salt consumption can have seriously damaging effects on your heart and kidneys as well.
- Reduce your consumption of processed foods. Yes they are easier to get and quick to prepare but takes a toll on your health
- Natural foods have salt in them. Stop sprinkling salt as a part of the seasoning, for every dish. Yes, it will be difficult to eat those tasteless dishes, but you will get used to it in a few days. Also, will learn to enjoy the natural taste of the foods
- The body processes salt by diluting it in water and flushing it out. Drink more water and help your system flush out faster
- Diuretics are good in flushing out the excessive sodium in the body. Increase your intake of diuretics in the natural form, such as cabbages, cranberry juice, etc
- Potassium balances the sodium and helps in flushing it out of the body. Load up on potassium by adding potassium-rich foods to your diet. Some of the easily available options are – carrots, raisins, bananas and spinach.
Balanced Diet – Diet need not mean cutting out something from your daily consumption. No matter what you eat, ensure it is natural food and reduce the intake of processed foods.
- A diet rich in essential nutrients will help you reduce weight all over your body, and your face will lose weight too. If a whole nutritional meal is not possible, consume them in small quantities, like a snack
- Have 4-5 small meals a day instead of 3 heavy meals. This will increase your metabolism levels, hence faster weight reduction
- Preserved and canned fruits may have added sugar. Skip this and have fresh fruits instead. When they are fresh, they are sweet and juicy so that you won’t be needing that extra sugar
- Vegetables are rich in fiber and fiber is what flushes out the toxins from your body. Eat more vegetables, preferably raw or just slightly cooked as cooking them too much can make them lose their essential nutrients and the fiber
Rest – Your body needs enough sleep. When you are sleep deprived, your body starts, hoarding fat and water, thus making look bloated and puffy. Lack of sleep can result in puffy eyes, saggy skin and even dark circles. All this make you look unhealthy and old.
- Get a good 8 hours of sleep everyday
- Take breaks in between your work. This will reduce your stress levels and will also give you time to stretch out your stiff muscles
- Have a set routine. Go to bed and wake up the same time each day, this will automatically get you to sleep easily once your bed time arrives
- If you are unable to sleep well, learn meditation. It will help you relax and calm down your mind
2. Face Exercise
Now that we have addressed the lifestyle choices that may require changes let's go to the problem area directly. The face! Here is a list of facial exercises that target each part of the face and will help you tone and reduce them in the process. You can do them even at work when you are waiting for that computer of yours to process your request or while waiting for someone to return your call.
Chin Lifts – Having double chin? Now, that can make your face look chubby in photos when you are caught looking down or even seated in a relaxed posture. Chin lifts stretches the facial muscles such as your jaw, throat, and neck.
Start by looking up towards the ceiling and move your neck, so you’ve stretched all the way to look upwards. You will feel the stretch on your neck. Now make it tighter by puckering up as if to kiss the ceiling. Hold this for about 10 counts and get back to your original position. Repeat 10 times. It takes all of 2-3 minutes.
Faceworks Face Exercises: Lose Your Double Chin and Tone Your Jawline (Source: Youtube.com)
Lips Pull – An effective Yoga move to reduce the weight on your face. Doing this regularly can uplift facial muscles and make your jaw look more prominent and cheekbones look higher. A sure way to make you look younger.
Start with a relaxed posture for your face, as you would normally be. Now, extend your jaw, while simultaneously lifting up your lower lip. This will help to stretch your jaw as well as your chin. Stay this way for up to 15 counts. Repeat 10 times.
Faceworks Face Exercises: Instant Lip Plumper for Perfect Lips (Source: Youtube.com)
Jaw Release – When you have a strong and prominent jaw line, it makes you look thinner and more attractive instantly. This jaw line exercise will target the double chin and also give you higher check bones.
- Start by moving your jaw in the chewing motion, with your lips closed
- Take a deep breath and breathe out as you hum
- Open your mouth wide open and press your tongue towards your teeth at the bottom and hold for 5 seconds
- Breathe in and out
Great Exercise to Release Jaw (Source: Youtube.com)
Fish Face – This is well-known, and highly effective exercise to reduce chubby cheeks. It tones up the cheek and reduces the fat quickly.
Start by sucking in your cheeks and your lips. You should get your sucked in check muscles between your teeth. Hold this for 5 counts and you will feel the strain in your cheeks and jaw. Repeat 10 times.
Blowing Air - One of the most effective exercises to reduce double chin and chubby cheeks. This exercise impacts cheeks, the jaw line and neck muscles, thus working all the major muscles of your face. When these parts are toned, it lifts up your face muscles and gives you a slimmer look.
Sit straight and tilt your head backward. Tilt as far as possible and look up at the ceiling. Now blow out air through your mouth. Do this for about 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times.
Closing Your Eyes – A very simple and quick exercise. Shut your eyes firmly with the help of your cheek muscles until you feel a contraction in your face. Hold this for 10 seconds and relax. Repeat at least 5 times in a day for maximum efficacy.
Stretch Your Face – A very good but slightly painful technique to help you reduce that fat. Lower your chin until it can touch your chest. Pull your skin till the skin below your cheek bones moves. Now say “Ah”. Hold this for a few seconds. Repeat a day thrice.
3. Home Remedies
While a change in your diet and doing exercises targeting certain muscles can help reduce the fat around your face, I found some regular home remedies too. These are no concoction of various items that you may have to gulp down and follow up with a glass of water or a spoon of sugar, these are regularly consumed by many of us. You can make them at home in a few simple steps, and consume it regularly. Hence no extra cost!
Chewing Gum – Now who hasn’t chewed gum? All of us would have chewed it when we were kids. The chewing activity itself strengthens the teeth and gums and helps in toning up the face. But not many of us spend enough time to chew our food properly, thanks to our hectic lifestyle and never-ending deadlines! So, get a sugar free gum and chew it as you work, giving your jaw some work too.
Green Tea – Green tea is very famous and widely used for its detoxing effects. When the toxins are effectively and regularly removed from your blood stream, the blood flows more freely, which helps in getting rid of facial fat.
Lemon Extracts – These are known for reducing inflammation and burning fat. Mix the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon with warm water and a teaspoon of honey. Drink this on an empty stomach, preferably the first thing in the morning. It helps in eliminating fat from all over your body, hence the face too.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON EXTRACT (SOURCE: YOUTUBE.COM)
Blow Balloons – Now that you are done consuming things to reduce that far, it’s time for some fun. Blow balloons and give them to kids around you if any or just let out the air and start again. Blow 10 balloons a day to see noticeable difference in your cheeks as the muscle expansion helps to tone it down.
Masks – There are a number of masks that can be whipped up at home and applied without any side effects on your skin.
Clay Mask – Clay masks help in absorbing the stored oil and water beneath the skin on your face. As the mask dries up, it absorbs and contracts the facial muscles. Combine this with a facial massage and see rewarding results
Honeydew Melons – Grind this melon, add a few spoons of apple juice and apply on your face. Let it stay for 20 minutes to let it moisturize and remove the fat from the face.
Egg Whites – Egg whites have great moisturizing properties and help in retaining the elasticity of the skin. Mix 2 egg whites with apple cider vinegar and a pinch of Epsom salt. Apply this paste to the face and enjoy a taught and fresh skin.
Cucumber Peel Mask – Beauty salons use cucumber slices for a reason. They help in reducing the puffiness around your eyes. A paste made out fresh cucumber will cool down your face and reduce the swelling.
Having extra fat deposits on your face can be a major concern for those of us who have tried everything under the sun. We don’t want a bloated face in those group photos where our friends look nice while we look like we just swallowed a burger.
After trying out the above techniques and remedies, I have not only lost the weight on my face successfully but have become healthier too. I am now a proud owner of a much thinner and younger face with tight facial muscles that has me looking much younger than I did when I started.
Hope you are as happy as I am, with these solutions. Give it a try and let us know which your favorites were and which worked the best for you. Also, help your friends and family by sharing this with everyone around you. Let us all have better and happier looking photos where no one would turn sideways to look thinner.